Thursday, September 2, 2010

0012

About my Grandfather:
Born in the northern half of Saskatchewan. The 10th of 13 children. young enough that he never really knew some of them. I believe he still has a sister who's still around.
During WWII he was in the military,(i think) but he never left the country. I remember as we went through Medicine Hat's museum one time, he looked at the german helmet, and the old flight trainer. He said they tested guys in that device, to see if they could fly by the gauges, because you could't see out of it. Testing to see if one could fly at night. It looked kind of like a mechanical bull, but instead of sitting on it, you were inside of it. He didn't ace that one, so he didn't get to fly. But flying just means your that much closer to being shot at, so I'm glad he didn't. (when I look at the dates, I'm not sure my Grandpa was quite old enough go to into the war before it was over. but that doesn't refute any millitary service).  



He worked for the railroad, Telegraph operator, and probable a few other things. When my father was born, him and my grandma Lived in Moyie, in a small house by the tracks. I think that was for only about a year. Then they moved into the house next door to my Great Grand parents (Grandma's Side)  Kathryn (Nana) M. Armstrong, and (Pop)Howard Armstrong.
There, they took the top level off of the house and gave it a new roof. They lived there, together, for the rest of his years. It's the home where my father grew up. and where I had the pleasure of doing a few days and weeks at a time for my growing up.
-
When I was a kid, My grandfather:
Taught me how to play checkers and how to play Cribbage, and badminton, and how to work the Commodore 64. He has an electric race-car track set-up in the basement, that was a lot of fun.
there's also a wooden sword he made, that I liked.
-
He played baseball until my early teens, until his joints got a little to soar.
-
I am not sure how old I was, but when I was young, one summer, me and my grandfather pulled all of his bottles and cans out of the shed to be sorted. It took us all day. Back then you had to sort them into pepsi and coke piles, because you didn't get as much back if you took them to the wrong one. once you were there, you sorted them into flats of the same size. then they gave you what it was worth.

I had a lot of fun doing that with him. The next year we did the same thing. He had a little cart that he pulled behind his bicycle, and when he saw a can he would pick-it up and throw it in. So when it cam summer, and time to sort the cans, he had so many, it completely filled that little shed. It was great spending the time with my grandpa.  After we sorted, and took the cans in, he gave me the money for them. I think he said "Money for the summer". but I didn't really understand. I didn't do it for the money, I did it to spend the time with him. And I guess that's why he did it too. So we could do it together. I'm going to miss getting to do things with him.
-

He worked a good while as security for Fort Steel Park. So that meant he wasn't always at home, or wasn't awake, when I was there. But it sure did make him a great tour guide it you went through the park. He knew the performers, so he was a little more than willing to be pulled up on stage durring the park's live theater performance. I think it embarrassed my grandma a little. 
Mmmm, old time candy sticks from the heritage town candy store (rum-butter it the best).
When it came the age where he had to retire from that job, he became Custodian/Janitor at the local High School. He took me with him one day. It was kind of interesting. I got a lot of cool mechanical pencils, pens, and the likes out of that. I like fancy mechanical pencils. maybe to much. Then he showed me, and let me try, as he buffed the floors. When he worked there, he went back to school. He never finished high school as a kid. being a farm kid and all, it was not all that unusual. But when he went back, it was awesome. He managed to complete everything but his math. I don't blame him. having probably 50 years since his last math class, I applaud him. I don't think I could do high school math anymore either. I know he passed every class but that one. I guess that goes to show you really don't need high school math, unless your going to be an engineer. 

-
When He finally retired, he played Golf, and Curling.  He got really good at golf. I don't think I ever could be. I admired that he still did those kind of thing in his later years. I hope I can live long enough to do something like it.
-
I looked up to my grandfather, and I still do.
-
in 2005 we celebrated my grandparent's 50th Anniversary.
when I went there last, his room in the basement, the one full of amazing tools and electronics from a different era, was a little bit empty. He didn't have his Shortwave Radio, or Moris code equipment set up anymore. it was gone. We talked about some things, like my dad's truck. I like my dad't truck. I think he wanted to work in there to ask if I wanted his truck. I think I steered away from it. not because I wouldn't use it, but because I din't want to acknowledge his mortality. It seemed a little like he was trying to give thing away. All I wanted was for him to know that I love him.
-
The last time we visited I went with him as he went for chemo therapy. I can't say it was the most interesting thing to do, or that we has tones of stuff to talk about the whole way through. But I am glad I got to spend that time with him.
-
If we ever have children, it makes me very very sad that they will never get to meet him.
-
In the basement, next to his engraving tool, he had a set of token medals that marked all of his "hole-in-one"s. I have that, and the contents of his desk drawer. I thought that if they were important enough to keep in the desk like that, they would be important enough to preserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment